Apple recently announced that over 100 million desktop apps have been downloaded from the Mac App Store. A record number, that the company achieved in under 1 year.
“With more than 100 million downloads in less than a year, the Mac App Store is the largest and fastest growing PC software store in the world”, says Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing.
The process is simple. If you are a Mac developer you can have your app “distributed” in the App Store. If someone buys it, you get to keep 70% of the app price. Apple keeps the rest 30%. However, you don’t have to worry about marketing or web hosting. Also, there is no charge for free apps.